The Felgemaker Organ Company
The Felgemaker Organ Company was a manufacturer of pipe organs based out of Erie, Pennsylvania in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was founded in Buffalo, New York but relocated to Erie, PA. In 1872, the company was known as the Derrick and Felgemaker Pipe Organ Company. During the 1870s, the company employed over 55 workers and had $75,000 worth of capital. The firm produced between 15 to 20 organs per week. Specialties of the company included church organs and portable pipe organs for small churches, schools and residential parlors.
By 1878 the company was renamed as the A.B. Felgemaker Company, relocating the factory to larger facilities in 1888 and 1890. At the invitation of Mr. Felgemaker, German organ maker Anton Gottfried moved to Erie in 1894, where he leased space from the Felgemaker plant. The A.B. Felgemaker Company remained in business until 1917. Several workers from the Felgemaker Company, including Gottfried, joined to form the Organ Supply Industries, Inc. in Erie which is today the largest and most comprehensive pipe organ manufacturer and supply house. The company produced organs until 1918, when it ceased operations. The company's service agreements and pending contracts were then assumed by the Tellers-Kent Organ Company.
Organs produced by this company are still in use at:
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Canton, Ohio
Lawrence University, Appleton Wisconsin
St. John's Lutheran Church, Erie, Pennsylvania
Crawford Memorial United Methodist Church, Bronx, New York
Trinity Episcopal Church, Iowa City, Iowa
St. John's Episcopal Church, Canandaigua, New York
First Congregational Church, St. Johns, Michigan
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Elizabeth City, North Carolina